Freeradius with LDAP backend for pptpd (via MS-CHAP)

Daniel Gomes dgomes at ipfn.ist.utl.pt
Fri Jul 9 18:23:03 CEST 2010

Em 09-07-2010 17:12, Alan DeKok escreveu:

>>>     Using PAP passwords.
>>>
>> Actually these application are probably just binding with the user's
>> credentials, but that's not relevant here.
>>
>    <sigh>   That's what I meant.
>

>> Well, it doesn't help me much if you say you know the problem and its
>> solution, but then don't tell me how to fix it.
>>
>    OpenLDAP has documentation on how to make it return passwords when an
> LDAP client asks for them.  We don't tend to copy that documentation here.
>

>> And I know I'm not the
>> first one to have these issues, I started from the beginning by saying
>> that I read everything I could find about it on the Internet, tried to
>> fix the problem many times and only then I came here, asking for help.
>> Sorry for wasting your time!... And btw, your aggressive attitude
>> doesn't really help anyone.
>>
>    Sorry... but when you ask for help, you shouldn't argue with the
> answers.  Especially when it's clear that you're asking for help because
> you don't know what's going wrong.
>
>    Education can be a painful process.

Mate, I wasn't arguing in the sense of "you're wrong", I was just trying
to understand why were you saying that LDAP wasn't working, when it
clearly looked like it was. After you explained the difference between
PAP and MS-CHAP on the previous email, I could finally understand just
that. So thanks once again for the explanation!

And yeah, I didn't know what was going on, but that was my reason to
come here in the first place!

>> Anyway, after getting it to work with PAP, I followed nf-vale's solution
>> (adding the ntPassword and lmPassword attributes to LDAP) and now it's
>> also working with MS-CHAP. Thanks for the great tip!!
>>
>    That's good to hear.
>
>    Alan DeKok.
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Thanks for the patience,

--
Daniel Gomes (SysAdmin)
dgomes at ipfn.ist.utl.pt
Ext. 3487 - 218419487

Instituto de Plasmas e Fusão Nuclear
Instituto Superior Técnico - UTL
Av. Rovisco Pais - 1049-001 Lisboa - Portugal