AW: Freeradius XP Client without certificate

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Jul 20 13:57:54 CEST 2010

Lionne Stangier wrote:
>> Is it possible to use Freeradius without certificate on the XP client?
>
>>  XP requires at least a root certificate for 802.1X authentication.
>
> Hmm .. That’s impractical. If some guests come and want to login we need to install the certificates first.

  That's how EAP works.  If you don't like it, go back 10 years, and
change the standards.

>> If I connect to the WLAN with my Iphone, I don’t need the certificate.
>
>>  It's either doing WEP, or it's ignoring the server certificate.
>
> No. It doesn’t use WEP and it doesn’t ignoring the certificate. The certificate is on the phone. You only connect to the WLAN and the background settings filled automatic.

  That disagrees with what you said earlier:

1) it doesn't need certs
2) the cert is on the phone

  Be consistent.

  It's impossible to help you if your story changes from message to message.

  And you can't change the way some things work.  EAP-TLS methods
require certificates.  Don't blame me, or FreeRADIUS for that.  All
other products on the market have the same restrictions.