about simultaneous when using mysql and freeradius

Marinko Tarlac mangia81 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 13:13:47 CEST 2010

Here we go again

1. add datetime column at the end of radacct table (name it for example
last_update_column)
2. edit queries in dialup.conf (for 2.x FR) or sql.conf (for 1.x FR) so
every update will update this column to (for example update radacct set
........, last_update_column = NOW() ).

Now you will have the correct time when was the last update for specific
session.

3. write php, perl, shell or any other script which you can start with
cron and check if there is any active sessions (acctstoptime = null or
acctstoptime = 0) which last update was X minutes ago.

For example, X can be 11 minutes and you can set up your NAS to send
updates every 5 minutes. This means that you can have at least 2 updates
before you close session with cron script.

This is not the only way to solve this problem but it works with all FR
version, and it doesn't depend on your NAS(es). Also, this isn't ideal
solution because if your NAS goes off and on again before you received
stop packets, all users will need to wait X minutes before they can
connect again. (there are no updates so last_update_column will be
unchanged and the cron script will close all sessions after X minutes)