service startup problem on CentOS 5.5 & freeradius 2.1.9

Fred MAISON fred.maison at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 14:50:05 CEST 2010

Hello,
The failure to start daemon using service radiusd start has the
following cause :

* The problem does not occurs with default config.
When /etc/init.d/radiusd is launched by init or using service command,
it seems environment does not have $ENV{HOSTNAME} initialized. (CentOS
5.4, CentOS 5.5, freeradius 2.1.8-2 or 2.1.9)

When I used this in my radiusd.conf to get local site-dependant
parameters {listen address, and so on ...), starting radiusd using
service command fails ...

I solved the problem by initializing hostname variable by including a
local.conf site-specific files.

Doing son I can rsync configurations between my differents servers, just
excluding local.conf in rsync ...

So, this is not a freeradius problem.

Thanks anyway for you help.

Best regards,