log loading of configuration files [was Re: Accounting to MySQL not working]

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Jun 7 10:49:01 CEST 2010

Josip Rodin wrote:
> Then again, there is no clear indication to users which part of the large
> debug output is important and which part is ignorable, so even if they don't
> ignore it, it may still actually be too complicated for them to handle.

  The alternative is to run a system that you don't understand.  This
isn't recommended.

> For example, add a debug level which would make all references to module
> instances also include the config filename they were read from.

  The solution for too much debug output is even *more* debug output?

  I see your point, but I *still* think there will be issues reading the
debugging output, even with having it print filenames.

> It would be
> a long output, but doesn't seem very hard to implement (just keep a mapping
> of module-to-configfilename sets in memory) and would be a good option to
> have in these cases. Ditto for other setting blocks - virtual hosts, home
> servers, home server pools.

  The filename is already cached internally.  I think it's safer just to
*occasionally* print out the filename, and then ask people to *read* the
debug output.