FR 2.1.9 Frequent SegFault, didn't happen with FR 2.1.8

Josip Rodin joy at entuzijast.net
Thu Jun 10 13:00:25 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 10:12:13AM +0200, Alan DeKok wrote:
> Josip Rodin wrote:
> > That code has indeed changed from 2.1.8 to 2.1.9, and it may be a simple bug
> > - there is no existence check for request->packet before its dereference in
> > the new CoA-related condition. There is an existence check for it below,
> > but by then it's too late. It looks like that branching could do with some
> > more reordering.
>
>   Yes.  The code to fix a CoA bug caused another one.  <sigh>
>
>   The server is quickly getting to the point where it's doing so much
> that any small change can have large implications.
>
>   The solution is to start re-organizing the code in the server core,
> and simplifying it.  When 2.0 cam out, the code was much simpler than
> 1.x for the same functionality.  Three years later, added functionality
> makes the code more complicated again.

The Change of Authorization code hasn't really found its place, it looks
a bit like a hack. Maybe it's the WITH_COA defines that make it look so.
But more generally, after reading through the proxy code, I see it as a
something of an unadjusted citizen :) yet CoA builds upon it and just ends
up creating a bigger mess.

The server started as a simple server that just responded to outside clients,
whereas these two functions really want it to behave more like a client.
I know that's a big readjustment :)

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.