AW: dynamic VLANs for many switches

PENZ Robert ROBERT.PENZ at tirol.gv.at
Thu Jun 10 15:21:46 CEST 2010

Hi!

> This is not a FreeRADIUS question, it is a NAS question and whether your
> NAS supports VLAN *names* rather than just numbers.

I'm looking for a way to work with switches that do not support VLAN Names, and therefore I believe it is a free radius question. E.g. It would be possible for me to create a table with the VLAN IDs and the NAS IPs, so that freeradius could match them and send the correct VLAN ID, but I don't know how to use the NAS IP for such an lookup. Or maybe there is a better way to do it.

> For the record, Cisco switches do support the use of names (if you have
> put it in your VLAN database), and their thick and thin AP's do too.
> YMMV with other venduhs though.
> To be honest, the time it took you to send this email, you could have
> actually tested it on your equipment...*sigh*.

I don't know the vendor of the switches so far as it is a running "public tendering  procedure" (hope that's the correct English term for it) where I was not able to require it as MUST feature, but I need to make the planning for migration and implementation of dynamic VLANs now. ;-(

Robert