Looking for an editor for FreeRADIUS documentation

Josip Rodin joy at entuzijast.net
Thu Jun 10 21:11:01 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 11:59:57AM -0700, Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
> > That's why I mentioned that ConfirmAccount mediawiki extension - it will
> > reduce the amount of bother for the admins, while still allowing the users
> > to use minimal necessary skills to do their edits.
>
> My idea was to install an extension to the wiki that allowed rendering of
> RST. The documentation would be kept up to date on the wiki, and at
> official release time those pages would be pulled in from the wiki and
> bundled with the rest of FreeRADIUS.

But does that kind of a software actually exist?

> - Still maintains blame information

Truth be told, mediawiki history isn't like git blame, but it's
sufficiently close. Sorry for nitpicking :)

> People are far more likely to contribute if the barrier to entry is low.

I'd perhaps rephrase that by saying that when people are unlikely to
contribute, anything done to raise the barrier to entry has an amplified
negative effect on the already low likelihood that a contribution will
be actually made.

> The reason for the wikis zombie like status is, as other people have
> stated that there is no official procedure to request an account, and no
> automated account creation. I remember the issues with spam, so auto
> account creation is out. Maybe have a a registration mailing list where
> people can pick requests off and create the accounts manually?
>
> The barrier to get an account has to be sufficiently high that spammers
> won't go through the hassle and sufficiently low that people will still
> contribute.

Once again, that's exactly what Extension:ConfirmAccount tries to do.
We don't need to reinvent anything, just get it installed and see if
it works.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.