Ubuntu OpenSSL

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Jun 15 19:37:06 CEST 2010

On 06/15/2010 01:20 PM, Ha, Thai wrote:
> If you just install 2.18 from the repository, OpenSSL works right out
> the box. If you must compile from source for whatever reason, I think I
> can help you. I was having the same issue as you yesterday, but finally
> managed to do it.
>
> First, make sure you have OpenSSL and libssl-dev installed. Remove any
> previous attempts of freeradius you installed (/usr/local/freeradius). I
> would also remove the folder where you extracted 2.1.9 and extract it
> again. When you run ./configure you must add the openssl arguments
>
> ./configure --with-openssl-includes=/usr/local/openssl/include
> --with-openssl-libraries=/usr/local/openssl/lib
> --prefix=/usr/local/freeradius
>
> Please note, I installed openssl from source and that is the directory
> where I installed openssl. You can pipe grep –i OpenSSL to see if there
> are any errors regarding OpenSSL. Now, just run make and make install
> like you normally do. Once done, go to /usr/local/freeradius/sbin to run
> radius (./radius -X). I got an error during this step complaining about
> not being able to find some OpenSSL libraries. You need to make a script
> to tell radiusd where the file is.
>
> vi run-radius
>
> #!/bin/sh -x
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/openssl/lib
> LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/openssl/lib/libcrypto.so
>
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH LD_PRELOAD
>
> /usr/local/freeradius/sbin/radiusd $@
>
> Save and exit.
>
> Next, you must make the script executable.
>
> chmod u=rwx run-radius
>
> Now you can run the script and everything should work (./run-radius –X).
> You will always have to execute to script to run freeradius.
>
> I got most of my information from this link:
> http://text.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9286052~mode=flat
>
> I am new to freeradius, so if I am doing something wrong, or
> inefficiently, please tell me.

This isn't an issue of being new to freeradius, it's an issue of
understanding how Linux and Linux packaging works, but that's really a
topic for a different mailing list ...

The fact you need to create a script and force the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
should be your clue you're not doing things correctly.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?
www.redhat.com/carveoutcosts/