Marking proxy servers as zombie - odd behaviour

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Jun 17 18:29:34 CEST 2010

John Horne wrote:
> Hmm. Given that the servers are lightly loaded, I guess we are looking
> at packet loss over the network?

  Yes.  Many packets lost.  The NAS re-transmits, FR re-transmits, and
the home server doesn't respond.

  The default timeout before marking a home server zombie is 30s.  If
there aren't *any* responses to retransmits in 30s, something is very wrong.

> Many thanks for all the replies. We always have at least one home server
> 'alive' according to FR so this has not been a problem for our users. It
> just seemed a bit odd behaviour when we looked into the log messages
> more closely.

  I'll take a look at making the zombie code less aggressive.