Redundant Accounting

Marius Pesé Marius at mindspring.co.za
Tue Jun 22 11:49:55 CEST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: freeradius-users-bounces+marius=mindspring.co.za at lists.freeradius.org [mailto:freeradius-users-bounces+marius=mindspring.co.za at lists.freeradius.org] On Behalf Of Alan DeKok
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 11:22 AM
To: FreeRadius users mailing list
Subject: Re: Redundant Accounting

Marius Pesé wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. You are right about the scenario I am trying to achieve:
>
>         RADIUS1 + MySQL
> NAS --<             |
>         RADIUS2 + MySQL
>
> (Trying to point out the synchronized databases on both servers)

  That's a database replication issue.

> I read the MySQL white paper on the solution you are proposing, but since we are a fairly small company we are actually hoping to find a solution using only two servers as in the first scenario you depictured.
> Do you think there is another reason besides scalability not to run mySQL and Radius on the same box?

  Look at MySQL master-master replication.

> Is mySQL clustering the way to get redundant accounting either way or is there something in FreeRadius one can use for our smaller setup?

  You can use MySQL clustering.  The code is GPL, so there's no cost
other than time.

  Alan DeKok.

Hi Alan,

So you would advise not to use any built-in Radius functionality? I thought I could achieve this with using one of the copy-acct-to-home-server modules or something like that...

Regards
Marius

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html