Help connecting to remote ldap server

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Jun 24 22:57:51 CEST 2010

Raymond Norton wrote:
> I have been reading and looking at similar post non-stop and have an
> idea what is wrong, but am not sure how to fix it.

  Sorry... but the symptoms here are clear.  Many, many, posts, full of
confused "what do I do now" questions.

  It's not that hard.  Stop fighting it, and simplify it instead.

> Not sure if that helps identify the changes I need to make???

  Configure a user in LDAP.

  Ensure that the LDAP database has their *plain text* password.

  Check that "ldapsearch" returns the *plain text* password.

  Install FreeRADIUS, using the *default configuration*.

  Configure FreeRADIUS to point to the LDAP server.

  Try PAP authentication.

  It *will* work.