Radius auth with LDAP back-end

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Mar 2 17:31:16 CET 2010

Mark Watts wrote:
> Getting the Unix/Linux -> LDAP authentication working is something I'm
> reasonably familiar with.
> RADIUS is not.

  Install 2.1.8.  Read raddb/modules/ldap.  Configure it.  Uncomment
references to "ldap" in raddb/sites-available/default.

  Start the server.

> I've come across this page which seems to cover what I want from
> FreeRADIUS:
>
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/archived/LDAP-Implementation-HOWTO/radius.html
>
> However, some of the comments in /etc/raddb/modules/ldap about setting
> "Auth-Type = LDAP" concern me.

  That documentation is years out of date.

> Can someone with knowledge of this kind of setup please advise on the
> best way forward?

  Read the documentation that comes with the server, and the comments in
the configuration files.  It *should* be pretty straightforward.