Libtool / autoconf is evil

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon May 3 17:10:29 CEST 2010

Aaron Turner wrote:
> FWIW, I've been migrating my project (tcpreplay) from Auto* to Cmake.
> It's a huge win if you're targeting Win32 (which I know freeradius
> isn't), but I've been pretty happy with it under various flavors of
> UNIX as well.  Syntax is sane, it's well maintained and good active
> community.

  Hmm.. it's also C++ (ugh), and about 300K LoC.  But yes, it works, and
lots of people use it.

  One of my requirements is that *normal* people can do builds with a
standard Unix SH and Make.  That means the build system should generate
old-style Makefiles.  I also think that the build system *itself* should
never be installed.  That way lies madness.

  I've had too many problems over the years with a project using a
"wonderful" build system... that requires me to download it and 40
dependencies... then the *latest* version of the build system isn't
compatible with the project, so I have to find an old version of the
build system...

  autoconf, et. al. are horrible, but they satisfy my requirements, and
they don't have the problems noted above (except for libtool and
libltldl, wich should *die*)