A question about disconnections

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri May 14 19:33:11 CEST 2010

Nick Warr wrote:
> We have a central radius server, and a few point to point connections
> where we have our point to multipoint connections (base stations) each
> base stations is a NAS, which for the most part works just fine. Our
> problem happens if something interrupts the point to point connectivity,
> the PPP sessions between the CPEs and the base stations remain up, but
> on the radius side, if the point to point connection remains down for
> longer than the idle timeout, the user (at least for freeradius) is
> disconnected.

  I have no idea what that means.  The RADIUS server doesn't
"disconnect" users after an idle timeout.

  Did *you* configure the server to do this?  If so, *SAY SO*.  This is
*not* in the default config.  We do *not* have access to your
configuration, and we *cannot* read minds.

> The NAS however, remains unaware of this (as the UDP disconnect message
> didn't arrive.. link down and all that),

  What's a "UDP disconnect message" ?

> and the user remains up and
> functional, but we no longer have any accounting for that user. This of
> course, we can reset by hand, but if it happens during the night for
> example, we could lose several hours of accounting.

  This really sounds like a routing problem.  The network goes down,
comes back up, and the NASes don't send packets to the RADIUS server.

 If the user session is up, the NAS should continue to send accounting
packets.  If it doesn't, it's broken.

> What I'd like to know is if freeradius 2.x has some sort of
> functionality we can configure to make sure that if the radius server is
> receiving accounting packets for an account which should be
> disconnected, that it will re-send the PoD to get the NAS to actually
> disconnect it.

  So you're sending PoD from the RADIUS server?

  Perhaps you could describe what you're doing, without making the
assumption that we're familiar with your local configuration.