radiusGroupName and utf-8

HRZ Konten hrzkonten at uni-bonn.de
Fri May 21 13:24:58 CEST 2010

Hello list,

I use freeradius 2.1.8 and OpenLDAP 2.4.17.
In LDAP I have the radius.schema and want to use the attribute
radiusGroupName to authorize access with Huntgroups and LDAP-Groups in
users file.

My LDAP-Groups come from a Database and they are all in utf-8 and have
characters like ä, ü etc. But in radiusGroupName is allowed only IA5. I
can change the schema and allow utf-8  as changing Syntax from
*IA5String* (OID=1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26) to *DirectoryString*
(OID=1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15).

 Would that be a Problem for freeradius, if it get utf-8 characters for
the LDAP-Groups?

I appreciate any help,

Cheers
Irina