What is the Class attribute for?

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at gmail.com
Mon May 24 22:45:06 CEST 2010

On May 24, 2010, at 1:36 PM, Alexandre Chapellon wrote:

> I personnally use it for QoS definition. It works as expected but i can't garantee this is the regular use for this attribute.
>
> What's special with the class attribute is that if you send It in Access-Accept, It should be added in later accounting packets. This can be very usefull and if you don't nées this features i suggest you use another attribute.

The use of the 'Class' attribute is site specific; you can use it to carry any value you want. If you're setting client QoS settings dynamically then the attribute is User-Priority-Table as described in RFC 4674.

Personally I think the best way to use the Class attribute is to link Authentication and Accounting sessions. All other session attributes can be stored in a database.

-Arran