Restricting certain users access to certain NAS devices

Whitmarsh Mark (Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust) mark.whitmarsh at nhs.net
Thu May 27 15:43:29 CEST 2010

Sorry, I should have mentioned I already tried man rlm_passwd and couldn't figure it out.
I've been through it again and have made the following changes:

1. created a file /etc/raddb/path_group
path_group:user1,user2,user3,user4,user5

2. Added the following to /etc/raddb/dictionary
ATTRIBUTE       User_Group_Name         3003    string

3. Added to modules/passwd
filename = /etc/raddb/path_group
hashsize = 20
allowmultiplekeys = yes
format = "~User_Group_Name:*,User-Name"

4. Also edited modules/etc_group because I couldn't make out which file to put these items in
passwd etc_group {
        filename = /etc/raddb/path_group
        format = "~User_Group_Name:*,User-Name"
        hashsize = 50
        ignorenislike = no
        allowmultiplekeys = yes
        delimiter = ":"
}

5. Inserted this into the post-auth section of sites-enabled/default

if ("%{User_Group_Name}" == path_group) {
                update reply {
                         Reply-Message := "You are not allowed here"
                }
                reject
        }

Debug output is:

FreeRADIUS Version 2.1.6, for host i686-pc-linux-gnu, built on Nov 20 2009 at 09:43:24
Copyright (C) 1999-2009 The FreeRADIUS server project and contributors.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
You may redistribute copies of FreeRADIUS under the terms of the
GNU General Public License v2.
Starting - reading configuration files ...
including configuration file /etc/raddb/radiusd.conf
including configuration file /etc/raddb/proxy.conf
including configuration file /etc/raddb/clients.conf
including files in directory /etc/raddb/modules/
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/inner-eap
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/pap
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/ippool
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/expiration
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/files
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/attr_rewrite
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/detail.example.com
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/exec
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/etc_group
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/preprocess
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/ntlm_auth
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/detail.log
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/passwd
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/linelog
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/radutmp
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/smsotp
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/mac2ip
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/logintime
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/unix
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/attr_filter
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/ldap
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/counter
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/mac2vlan
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/sqlcounter_expire_on_login
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/always
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/expr
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/sradutmp
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/policy
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/wimax
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/sql_log
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/realm
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/echo
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/acct_unique
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/otp
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/mschap
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/krb5
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/smbpasswd
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/checkval
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/digest
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/pam
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/chap
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/perl
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/detail
including configuration file /etc/raddb/eap.conf
including configuration file /etc/raddb/policy.conf
including files in directory /etc/raddb/sites-enabled/
including configuration file /etc/raddb/sites-enabled/control-socket
including configuration file /etc/raddb/sites-enabled/inner-tunnel
including configuration file /etc/raddb/sites-enabled/default
group = radiusd
user = radiusd
including dictionary file /etc/raddb/dictionary
main {
prefix = "/usr"
localstatedir = "/var"
logdir = "/home/radlogs"
libdir = "/usr/lib/freeradius"
radacctdir = "/home/radlogs/radacct"
hostname_lookups = no
max_request_time = 30
cleanup_delay = 5
max_requests = 1024
allow_core_dumps = no
pidfile = "/var/run/radiusd/radiusd.pid"
checkrad = "/usr/sbin/checkrad"
debug_level = 0
proxy_requests = yes
 log {
stripped_names = no
auth = yes
auth_badpass = no
auth_goodpass = no
 }
 security {
max_attributes = 200
reject_delay = 1
status_server = yes
radiusd: #### Loading Realms and Home Servers ####
 proxy server {
retry_delay = 5
retry_count = 3
default_fallback = no
dead_time = 120
wake_all_if_all_dead = no
 }
 home_server localhost {
ipaddr = 127.0.0.1
port = 1812
type = "auth"
secret = "**********"
response_window = 20
max_outstanding = 65536
require_message_authenticator = no
zombie_period = 40
status_check = "status-server"
ping_interval = 30
check_interval = 30
num_answers_to_alive = 3
num_pings_to_alive = 3
revive_interval = 120
status_check_timeout = 4
irt = 2
mrt = 16
mrc = 5
mrd = 30
 }
 home_server_pool my_auth_failover {
type = fail-over
home_server = localhost
 }
 realm example.com {
auth_pool = my_auth_failover
 }
 realm LOCAL {
 }
radiusd: #### Loading Clients ####
 client localhost {
ipaddr = 127.0.0.1
require_message_authenticator = no
secret = "********"
nastype = "other"
 }
 client xxx.xxx.xxx.xx {
require_message_authenticator = no
secret = "********"
shortname = "self"
 }
 client xxx.xxx.x.x/16 {
require_message_authenticator = no
secret = "xxxxxxxx"
shortname = "Anyone"
nastype = "pc"
 }
radiusd: #### Instantiating modules ####
 instantiate {
 Module: Linked to module rlm_exec
 Module: Instantiating exec
  exec {
wait = no
input_pairs = "request"
shell_escape = yes
  }
 Module: Linked to module rlm_expr
 Module: Instantiating expr
 Module: Linked to module rlm_expiration
 Module: Instantiating expiration
  expiration {
reply-message = "Password Has Expired  "
  }
 Module: Linked to module rlm_logintime
 Module: Instantiating logintime
  logintime {
reply-message = "You are calling outside your allowed timespan  "
minimum-timeout = 60
radiusd: #### Loading Virtual Servers ####
server inner-tunnel {
 modules {
 Module: Checking authenticate {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Linked to module rlm_pap
 Module: Instantiating pap
  pap {
encryption_scheme = "auto"
auto_header = no
  }
 Module: Linked to module rlm_chap
 Module: Instantiating chap
 Module: Linked to module rlm_mschap
 Module: Instantiating mschap
  mschap {
use_mppe = yes
require_encryption = no
require_strong = no
with_ntdomain_hack = no
  }
 Module: Linked to module rlm_unix
 Module: Instantiating unix
  unix {
radwtmp = "/home/radlogs/radwtmp"
  }
 Module: Linked to module rlm_eap
 Module: Instantiating eap
  eap {
default_eap_type = "md5"
timer_expire = 60
ignore_unknown_eap_types = no
cisco_accounting_username_bug = no
max_sessions = 2048
  }
 Module: Linked to sub-module rlm_eap_md5
 Module: Instantiating eap-md5
 Module: Linked to sub-module rlm_eap_leap
 Module: Instantiating eap-leap
 Module: Linked to sub-module rlm_eap_gtc
 Module: Instantiating eap-gtc
   gtc {
challenge = "Password: "
auth_type = "PAP"
   }
 Module: Linked to sub-module rlm_eap_tls
 Module: Instantiating eap-tls
   tls {
rsa_key_exchange = no
dh_key_exchange = yes
rsa_key_length = 512
dh_key_length = 512
verify_depth = 0
pem_file_type = yes
private_key_file = "/etc/raddb/certs/server.pem"
certificate_file = "/etc/raddb/certs/server.pem"
CA_file = "/etc/raddb/certs/ca.pem"
private_key_password = "whatever"
dh_file = "/etc/raddb/certs/dh"
random_file = "/etc/raddb/certs/random"
fragment_size = 1024
include_length = yes
check_crl = no
cipher_list = "DEFAULT"
make_cert_command = "/etc/raddb/certs/bootstrap"
    cache {
enable = no
lifetime = 24
max_entries = 255
 Module: Linked to sub-module rlm_eap_ttls
 Module: Instantiating eap-ttls
   ttls {
default_eap_type = "md5"
copy_request_to_tunnel = no
use_tunneled_reply = no
virtual_server = "inner-tunnel"
include_length = yes
   }
 Module: Linked to sub-module rlm_eap_peap
 Module: Instantiating eap-peap
   peap {
default_eap_type = "mschapv2"
copy_request_to_tunnel = no
use_tunneled_reply = no
proxy_tunneled_request_as_eap = yes
virtual_server = "inner-tunnel"
   }
 Module: Linked to sub-module rlm_eap_mschapv2
 Module: Instantiating eap-mschapv2
   mschapv2 {
with_ntdomain_hack = no
   }
 Module: Instantiating ntlm_auth
  exec ntlm_auth {
wait = yes
program = "/usr/bin/ntlm_auth --request-nt-key --domain=******* --username=%{mschap:User-Name} --password=%{User-Password}"
input_pairs = "request"
shell_escape = yes
  }
 Module: Checking authorize {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Linked to module rlm_realm
 Module: Instantiating suffix
  realm suffix {
format = "suffix"
delimiter = "@"
ignore_default = no
ignore_null = no
  }
 Module: Linked to module rlm_files
 Module: Instantiating files
  files {
usersfile = "/etc/raddb/users"
acctusersfile = "/etc/raddb/acct_users"
preproxy_usersfile = "/etc/raddb/preproxy_users"
compat = "no"
  }
 Module: Checking session {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Linked to module rlm_radutmp
 Module: Instantiating radutmp
  radutmp {
filename = "/home/radlogs/radutmp"
username = "%{User-Name}"
case_sensitive = yes
check_with_nas = yes
perm = 384
callerid = yes
  }
 Module: Checking post-proxy {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Checking post-auth {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Linked to module rlm_attr_filter
 Module: Instantiating attr_filter.access_reject
  attr_filter attr_filter.access_reject {
attrsfile = "/etc/raddb/attrs.access_reject"
key = "%{User-Name}"
  }
 } # modules
} # server
server {
 modules {
 Module: Checking authenticate {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Checking authorize {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Linked to module rlm_preprocess
 Module: Instantiating preprocess
  preprocess {
huntgroups = "/etc/raddb/huntgroups"
hints = "/etc/raddb/hints"
with_ascend_hack = no
ascend_channels_per_line = 23
with_ntdomain_hack = no
with_specialix_jetstream_hack = no
with_cisco_vsa_hack = no
with_alvarion_vsa_hack = no
  }
 Module: Checking preacct {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Linked to module rlm_acct_unique
 Module: Instantiating acct_unique
  acct_unique {
key = "User-Name, Acct-Session-Id, NAS-IP-Address, Client-IP-Address, NAS-Port"
  }
 Module: Checking accounting {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Linked to module rlm_detail
 Module: Instantiating detail
  detail {
detailfile = "/home/radlogs/radacct/%{Client-IP-Address}/detail-%Y%m%d"
header = "%t"
detailperm = 384
dirperm = 493
locking = no
log_packet_header = no
  }
 Module: Instantiating attr_filter.accounting_response
  attr_filter attr_filter.accounting_response {
attrsfile = "/etc/raddb/attrs.accounting_response"
key = "%{User-Name}"
  }
 Module: Checking session {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Checking post-proxy {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Checking post-auth {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Linked to module rlm_always
 Module: Instantiating reject
  always reject {
rcode = "reject"
simulcount = 0
mpp = no
  }
 } # modules
} # server
radiusd: #### Opening IP addresses and Ports ####
listen {
type = "auth"
ipaddr = xxx.xxx.xxx.xx
port = 0
}
listen {
type = "acct"
ipaddr = *
port = 0
}
listen {
type = "control"
 listen {
socket = "/var/run/radiusd/radiusd.sock"
Listening on authentication address xxx.xxx.xxx.xx port 1812
Listening on accounting address * port 1813
Listening on command file /var/run/radiusd/radiusd.sock
Listening on proxy address xxx.xxx.xxx.xx port 1814
Ready to process requests.
rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host xxx.xxx.xxx.xx port 50600, id=177, length=60
User-Name = "********"
User-Password = "********"
NAS-IP-Address = 127.0.0.2
NAS-Port = 0
+- entering group authorize {...}
++[preprocess] returns ok
++[chap] returns noop
++[mschap] returns noop
[suffix] No '@' in User-Name = "********", looking up realm NULL
[suffix] No such realm "NULL"
++[suffix] returns noop
[eap] No EAP-Message, not doing EAP
++[eap] returns noop
++[unix] returns notfound
[files] users: Matched entry ******** at line 7
++[files] returns ok
++[expiration] returns noop
++[logintime] returns noop
[pap] WARNING! No "known good" password found for the user.  Authentication may fail because of this.
++[pap] returns noop
Found Auth-Type = ntlm_auth
+- entering group authenticate {...}
[ntlm_auth] expand: --username=%{mschap:User-Name} -> --username=********
[ntlm_auth] expand: --password=%{User-Password} -> --password=********
Exec-Program output: NT_STATUS_OK: Success (0x0)
Exec-Program-Wait: plaintext: NT_STATUS_OK: Success (0x0)
Exec-Program: returned: 0
++[ntlm_auth] returns ok
Login OK: [********] (from client self port 0)
+- entering group post-auth {...}
++[exec] returns noop
++? if ("%{User_Group_Name}" == path_group)
expand: %{User_Group_Name} ->
? Evaluating ("%{User_Group_Name}" == path_group) -> FALSE
++? if ("%{User_Group_Name}" == path_group) -> FALSE
Sending Access-Accept of id 177 to xxx.xxx.xxx.xx port 50600
Finished request 0.
Going to the next request
Waking up in 4.9 seconds.

The User_Group_Name attribute doesn't seem to get created/populated so when I check it in post-auth it is null.

What have I missed?

Thanks,
Mark Whitmarsh.