RADDB 2.1.7 and /etc/shadow

Peter Nixon listuser at peternixon.net
Fri May 28 08:40:18 CEST 2010

On Fri 28 May 2010, John Dennis wrote:

> > what it means.
> >
> > <Sigh>  It turns out the error is caused by a typo in the radiusd file
> > provided in /redhat/radiusd-pam, NOT by the pam subsystem.  In fact, the
> > pam subsystem was merely reporting the error in the freeradius file.
> > The message "module not found" was because the radiusd-pam file was
> > pointing to password.so NOT passwd.so
>
> Glad you got it working and sorry for the frustration.
>
> Unfortunately the files in /redhat had serious bit rot and had not been
> maintained for a long time. When you want Red Hat specific files or
> RPM's it's really best to get them from us because we maintain them. The
> /etc/pam.d/radiusd is supplied in our freeradius RPM and isn't the same
> as was found in the freeradius tarball as you unfortunately discovered.
>
> FWIW, we just synced our files to /redhat directory in the freeradius
> 2.1.9 release. So for 2.1.9 they will be pretty close. But they will
> *diverge*. Why? Because in this instance that does not represent
> "upstream" (i.e. the definitive source), we are "upstream" for our own
> files.
>
> I have certain misgivings about upstream projects providing packaging
> files for their project because they inevitably diverge and have bit
> rot. I realize it's perceived to be friendly to supply packaging files
> in the upstream distribution, but it comes with a price (divergence &
> bugs). Getting packaging files from the source (i.e. the specific Linux
> distribution) isn't that hard and would avoid some of these issues. By
> the way all this is documented in the FreeRADIUS wiki at
> http://wiki.freeradius.org/Red_Hat_FAQ

Hi John

Is it happens, I agree with you. I was maintaining some prebuilt RedHat and
Mandriva packages for a while in addition to the openSUSE packages (which I
use myself) but I stopped doing so as it seems like duplicate effort and a
source of extra problems.

I maintain "our" FreeRADIUS (latest release) packages for openSUSE under the
network:aaa namespace on the build service, but these get synced up with the
"official" openSUSE/SLES packages in the Factory namespace before each major
distro release. There is a small amount of skew between the packages at
present, but we will have them in sync for the 11.3 release.

I am not so familar with the dev processes for Fedora/RHEL but I am sure
something similar could be arranged.

Cheers

--

Peter Nixon