which user is using this IP? (Ethernet, no dial-up)

Guido De Rosa guido.derosa at vemarsas.it
Thu Nov 4 16:31:00 CET 2010

[Apparently the usenet gateway is not bidirectional, so I re-post here, sorry]

Hello,

AFAIK, there's nothing in the RADIUS protocol allowing you to ask
a RADIUS server which user is currently using a given IP address... or
am I missing something? The only thing you can do is
FreeRADIUS-specific like issuing the
"radwho" command which shows you a list of currently
logged users, their IP addresses and other informations. Another
option
is querying the FreeRADIUS database (MySQL/whatever...), which is
actually what some front-ends do (like DaloRADIUS...).

Do you know a more robust/standard/portable solution to get these
info?

To clarify my question I will explain why I need this.

I'm configuring DansGuardian web content filtering
(http://dansguardian.org) which has the possibility to configure
several
"filter groups" each with different filtering rules. I would like to
match filter groups by RADIUS login but since this is not implemented
I'm willing to contribute some code to the project, and here I need to
clarify some technical details.

The programmatic counterpart of running radwho should be reading
/var/log/freeradius/radutmp, which is simply the serialization of a C
struct, as I read here:

http://goo.gl/Rq1c7
http://goo.gl/BSvAn
http://goo.gl/erLtw

Would be this one the correct approach? Any suggestion?

Thanks!
Guido De Rosa

P.S. the matching thread in the DG mailing list is: