Accounting and Acct-Delay-Time in MySQL

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Mon Nov 15 11:45:33 CET 2010

  Hello,

the default queries for mysql log Acct-Delay-Time into the columns
acctstartdelay and acctstopdelay, respectively. They leave the
timestamps for acctstarttime and acctstoptime at %S. For a non-zero
delay, this means that a database reader needs to do math to get the
start and stop times.

It is rather unintuitive that a database user needs to calculate the
*actual* event times manually by substracting the values. This is
something that MySQL can easily do on its own at INSERT or UPDATE.

Is there a specific reason why the two are kept separate? If not, I'll
merrily volunteer to update the default query set to do so; I'll do this
for my deployment's custom queries anyway. This would also make the two
columns for delay time obsolete.

Any thoughts on this?

Greetings,

Stefan Winter