Differences between FreeRadius and GNU Radius

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Nov 17 16:44:12 CET 2010

den2k wrote:
> I'm new to RADIUS and I have to configure a rather complex system. Due
> to the lack of (well made) documentation on the wiki

  The server *does* include extensive documentation.  See the "doc"
directory, and the comments in the configuration files.

> I googled around
> and I've found a good manual for GNU Radius (the old radiusd).
> So my question is: how much can I rely on that documentation while
> writing configuration files for FreeRADIUS?

  You can't.  They are *very* different pieces of software.

  If you think that the GNU RADIUS documentation is better, it's only
because it's nicely formatted, and the server does a *lot* less than
FreeRADIUS.

> Does exist some piece of
> documentation which lists the differences between the two systems? I'm
> especially interested in the 'huntsgroup' file

  Do you have *specific* questions that are not answered by the comments
in the "huntgroups" file?

> and in the authentication protocols

  FreeRADIUS supports all common authentication protocols.