FreeRADIUS 2.1.10 regression in logging behaviour

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Fri Nov 26 22:08:16 CET 2010

hi,

one eagle-eyed member spotted a small issue with our systems after the upgrade to 2.1.10
(which, frankly I'd overlooked because to me its more important that people can actually
authenticate and we've got good accounting etc :-) )

anyway, its this.

the standard radius.log file which records a few items of interest is no longer logrotated
correctly....ie logrotate comes along, the file gets a new number/name and a new file
is created for radiusd to keep using...except it doesnt. in the end you end up with eg

radius.log.5
radius.log.4
radius.log.3
radius.log.2
radius.log.1
radius.log

where all the newer ones are zero bytes and radius.log.5 is several meg in size

the sudden obvious fix is to add the HUP/restart part to the logrotate script but
we've never ever had to do this in the past...and I'm loathe to do such a thing...i wonder
what has changed regarding file handling ?

alan