FreeRADIUS 2.1.10 regression in logging behaviour

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Nov 26 22:46:54 CET 2010

Alan Buxey wrote:
> one eagle-eyed member spotted a small issue with our systems after the upgrade to 2.1.10

  It's actually in 2.1.9.

> the sudden obvious fix is to add the HUP/restart part to the logrotate script but
> we've never ever had to do this in the past...and I'm loathe to do such a thing...i wonder
> what has changed regarding file handling ?

  You now have to HUP after logrotate.

  Before, it wouldn't re-open the file, even if you did HUP it.  I'm not
sure why you thought it was rotating the log files before... that just
didn't work.  It opened the log file when the server started, and never
touched it again after that.