FreeRADIUS 2.1.10 regression in logging behaviour

Josip Rodin joy at entuzijast.net
Sat Nov 27 11:52:07 CET 2010

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 09:06:08AM +0000, Alan Buxey wrote:
> I see plenty of posts saying dont HUP it...I dont think all parts of the
> server update/refresh when HUP'ing still so a full restart is the only
> clean way anyway.

With regard to log rotation, that's actually contrary to what it should do :)
The HUP not only reopens log files, but it also reopens the configuration.
But if you have a configuration file that the unprivileged FR user can't
read, esp. if it's radiusd.conf :) the reload will fail, and it also won't
be able to reopen log files.

IOW for the purpose of log rotation, we didn't need HUP because it's too
invasive for that purpose. But a configuration reload in general is useful
and HUP seems like the most appropriate method.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.