wifi ip allocation

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Nov 30 21:01:03 CET 2010

Alexandre Chapellon wrote:
> Hi every body,
> While all the documentation on the web seems to answer *NO*, and because
> I feel like i need to talk to someone today, I was wondering if there is
> any way to allocate IP address to wifi user using radius Attributes
> instead of DHCP?

  Nope.  The only way this would work is if the AP cached the
Framed-IP-Address from the Access-Accept, and then grabbed the DHCP
packet, and put the Framed-IP-Address in it as a DHCP response.

> Or maybe I should ask... How can i allocate IP address from differents
> Pools based on login (final goal would be to have transparent squid
> treat user differently )?

  Run FreeRADIUS as a DHCP server. :)  It works, and you can put session
information from RADIUS into an SQL DB, and then query that data when it
receives a DHCP packet.