DHCP with option 82 best practice

Zietz, Marco Marco.Zietz at pfalzkom-manet.de
Mon Oct 18 18:05:26 CEST 2010

Hi everybody,

at first I want to thank Arran and Alan for their help with my last
post. Good job! Had trouble getting the lists reply's, but solved now.

I am curious if somebody could share information how to get FR as DHCP
with option 82 authentication up and running. Couldn't find much
information in provided sample files and on the net. My own experiments
with auth configs were not particularly successful. The key I am missing
is the link between having DHCP-Relay-Circuit-Id in DHCP-Request and
DHCP-Discover messages and kicking in some kind of auth in order to
return a DHCP-Offer/Ack message including a client IP out of the
configured IP pools. Backend is mysql.

I have the feeling that most users straight heading for rlm_perl and not
using the ppp/chap/pap alike chain. This I would understand since the
handshakes differ. Confirmation of this thesis would help me as well, so
I can stop searching and start coding ;o)

Any comment much appreciated!

Cheers,

Marco