Problems getting a linux server to join a AD domain

Rowley, Mathew Mathew_Rowley at cable.comcast.com
Thu Oct 28 21:49:06 CEST 2010

It would make sense that was the issue due to:

   server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)

but still getting the same error:

$ sudo net join -w SECLAB -I 10.252.159.137 -U Administrator
Enter Administrator's password:
[2010/10/28 13:40:07.929859,  0]
utils/net_rpc_join.c:406(net_rpc_join_newstyle)
  Error in domain join verification (credential setup failed):
NT_STATUS_INVALID_COMPUTER_NAME

Unable to join domain SECLAB.

$ grep 'server name' /etc/samba/smb.conf
$ grep 'server string' /etc/samba/smb.conf
server string = MAT-DESKTOP
# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field

On 10/28/10 1:31 PM, "schilling" <schilling2006 at gmail.com> wrote:

>put server string = MAT-DESKTOP
>
>On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Rowley, Mathew
><Mathew_Rowley at cable.comcast.com> wrote:
>> $ hostname
>> mat-desktop.security.lab.net
>>

>> Short name is just mat-desktop
>>

>> Mathew Rowley
>> IIS Network Security Architecture
>>

>> On 10/28/10 12:41 PM, "Sallee, Stephen (Jake)" <Jake.Sallee at umhb.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I have to ask ... but what is your server's name?  The error is saying
>>>that the name is incompatible with AD, do you have and special
>>>characters, any spaces, or any other weirdness in you server's name?
>>>
>>>Jake Sallee
>>>Godfather Of Bandwidth
>>>Network Engineer
>>>
>>>Fone: 254-295-4658