Best Authentication Method for Various Supplicant

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Tue Sep 7 16:37:17 CEST 2010

homyang cha <homyang4u at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for the help. I am now able to authenticate users from both
> windows xp(2) and windows 7 using PEAP authentication type. But in Windows
> Vista I have a problem. Initially I am able to authenticate from windows
> vista but after some time its diconnects itself. I have to disable the
> network to authenticate again and the whole process starts again (i.e after
> initial authentication and network connections success it disconnects ).

As a network guy I do not deal with problems on the desktop, it's one of
those few things that I am permitted not to accept by default fault for.
Also, bear in mind I did say "we do not use PEAP and never have done",
asking me to help you with a PEAP problem is unlikely to get you very
far.  :-/

My solution is to use TTLS (with SecureW2) as it makes XP, Vista and
Win7 all behave identically, and that's what I like.  The author has
done all the ball busting so I don't have to. :)

> Can you shed some light on this.

Debian provide a bunch of ISO's and network install options for their OS
over at their website...no doubt that will fix the workstation :)

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: I'm not a level-headed person...        -- Bruce Perens