Newbie: help to configure PEAP extension for windows XP wireless Clients

Stephane Brodeur sbrodeur63 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 9 22:49:51 CEST 2010

Hi,

I am a newbie with Radius and I have problems to authenticate XP wireless clients with eap.  I think that my first problem is due to the fact that Windows XP client requires a Certificate Authority since Windows only recognized signed certificate. I could not find the certificate properties windows as shown in the following link:

http://deployingradius.com/documents/configuration/eap.html

My first question is where is this Smart Card or other Certificate Properties window, is it in the wireless 802.1x configuration window or in the internet explorer where you import certificate.  I am using Windows XP with service pack 3.

2) Does FreeRadius generates automatically a self-signed Certificates when we start radiusd -X for the first time. Can we also imports the ca.der file into Windows XP to test our PEAP authentication. Does the server certificate created with the self-signed certificate is good enough to authenticate Windows XP wireless client

3) Can we used the root/server/client self-signed certificate for authentication EAP-TLS. Does making new root/server/client certificate with the make function overides thte self-one

Thanks for all your help
Stephane