Radmin - hup query

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Sep 10 14:17:45 CEST 2010

John Horne wrote:
> Running Freeradius 2.1.10 on CentOS 5.5 I have been taking a quick look
> at the radmin 'hup' command. However, I am having a problem getting it
> to work:
>
>   radmin -e hup
>   ERROR: You do not have write permission.  See "mode = rw"
>   in /var/run/radiusd/radiusd.sock

  See the default configuration file for the control socket.

> I'm not sure what the first message means as the file already exists,
> and the second one says it is closing the socket, yet the socket file
> still exists (unless it literally means it is closing the socket but
> leaving the file there.)
>
> Any suggestions as to what is going on here?

  You need write permissions on the socket to write the "hup" text to
it.  You *also* need to tell FreeRADIUS to allow commands received on
the socket to write to the local memory.

  You can set up the server so that admins have write access to the
socket, but *not* write access to the server config.  This lets them
write commands to the socket like "show stats for X".  But it doesn't
let them *change* anything.