still not working (newbie for radius)

Michael Lecuyer mjl at iterpacis.org
Mon Sep 20 06:53:20 CEST 2010

I'm merely speculating that your SSH client is rejecting the response
where the User-Name & Juniper-Local-User-Name for 'bob' but accepts the
name 'labrat' and response name 'labrat'.

 > well, i don't have user "labrat" configured in file "users" on the
 > radius server.

KISS:
Set up the server to test the Juniper-Local-User-Name responses. You
might consider testing just that side of things 'til you figure out the
pattern. This part is not a RADIUS problem.

BTW the Access-Request packet should use either the NAS-Identifier OR
the NAS-IP-Address but not both. Something is likely to mysteriously
break later. Choose one.

 > also you are right, for some reasons, every login attempt will have
 > two more duplicated messages besides the first one. why is that?

The RADIUS server is working properly. Your client is not.

Your RADIUS client sends an identical packet for each different attempt
to log in. This is just plain wrong and the server is replying with a
copy of the original response.

Either the client is broken or SSH is misusing the client.