Session Resumption fails

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Sat Sep 25 01:09:23 CEST 2010

Hi,

* Panagiotis Georgopoulos <panos at comp.lancs.ac.uk> [2010-09-24 22:33:14+0100]:

> I wish it was that simple! It seems that when I do "use_tunneled_reply
> = yes" and although the authentication with FR succeeds, the 4-way
> handshake between the client (wpa_supplicant 0.7.3) and the access
> point (hostapd 0.7.2) fails with wpa_supplicant reporting :

/me does not recall saying enable 'copy_request_to_tunnel = yes'.

> State: ASSOCIATED -> 4WAY_HANDSHAKE
> [snipped unread log]
> EAPOL: Received EAP-Packet frame
>
> It seems that the Access Point realizes that the identity in FR's
> reply has changed (from the outer identity to the inner one) and
> somehow the client doesn't like this and doesn't reply to the 1st
> message of the 4th way handshake. Instead it sends an EAPOL start
> message and a full authentication restarts with the same outcome.. and
> then again and again.

Have you considered comparing the difference in the RADIUS packets going
to-and-fro in both cases; the one where authentication works and the one
where it does not?  What do you see?

Most would suggest you look at section 3 of RFC2548...

*sigh*

> It seems that using unlang to change the reply to the outer identity
> of the initial request is not just for not revealing the privacy of
> the client but seems to be mandatory....

Read Section 5.1 of RFC2865 before jumping to conclusions with no
evidence...

> Any easier solution?

I could think of some, but most are unprintable.

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: For every vision there is an equal and opposite revision.