Can FreeRadius connect to ACT! database?

Jim Rice jmrice6640 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 6 00:35:52 CEST 2011

I've been tinkering with dialup_admin and MySQL with FR 2.1.10.
I have been able to get it to work for doing MAC authentication of Motorola Canopy SM's.

The problem is that the customer database is hosted on Windows using ACT!
It already contains the user account info, radio type, MAC address, and specified rate limits.

A couple of choices:

1. Duplicate much of the data from ACT! and populate the MySQL database,
then forever perform dual maintenance manually.

2. Use the ACT! SDK to develop a custom add-on to update the Radius database, or to write to flat files and copy them over (yuk.)

(or hopefully):

3. Have Radius query the ACT! database directly?  Is there an ODBC that can be made to work here?

(At this point, I could care less about accounting.)
I just need a simple MAC address lookup, and an Accept reply with a few attributes.

I'd consider choice #4 if someone knows of one ...

Thanks,

Jim