MS-CHAP-V2 with no retry

John.Hayward at wheaton.edu John.Hayward at wheaton.edu
Thu Apr 7 22:12:51 CEST 2011

Hi James,
    We did minimal testing on windows - previously support reported without
the patch users were seeing dialog boxes.
    With the patch on xp - after a reboot - it did present dialog box -
    With 7 it seemed to work without a reboot.

    Obviously if xp does worse that without the patch this is not a good
thing.

    I've attached a zip of a typescript which created the two patches.

    Let me know if you want two zip files with just the diffs or if this is
what you want.

    It might be that if we allow retries xp might be happier - but would
require a few more tweaks in the patches.

    Thanks for doing additional checking.
    I have yet to verify that I'm picking up the correct challenge string -
I need to figure out how on ubuntu to start the wpa_supplicant with
debugging on.  The ubuntu wpa_supplicant (if debugging is on) logs wrong
challenge string.  It does the same thing after logging a wrong challenge
string as a correct challenge string.  Not sure what XP does (don't have
source code).

johnh...