FW: Duplicate Accounting maybe once, twice a day

Marius Pesé Marius at mindspring.co.za
Wed Apr 13 11:09:29 CEST 2011

>Hi everyone,
>
>we are having an issue on our FreeRadius setup where our redundant servers will maybe once, twice a day create duplicate accounting entries.
>I have switched the servers to debug for a full day and caught one of these incidents in the log file, see attached.
>
>The strange thing is it only happens maybe once a day, regardless of realm or user, and the other couple of hundred accounting requests are fine.
>Can anyone see why this particular one would bounce back and forth?
>
>Our setup consists of two virtually identical FreeRadius2 servers, each with their own mySQL database, so each of them is capable of doing Auth and Acct, and proxies Acct to the other one.
>Also I changed the acct_update_alt query to write to a failover table since I thought this was the alt query being triggered, but this does not make a difference. Still duplicates in radacct table.
>
>Thanks!
>Marius

I’m still not sure what causes my issue and attached the debug output for server start, 1 acct and 1 auth request. Both these requests did not lead to duplicates as the one in the attachment.
Debug Log is attached.
There is one thing that caught my attention: It says

Sending Accounting-Request of id 47 to 196.25.102.32 port 1646

And then after that package:

Proxying request 2 to home server 196.25.102.32 port 1646
Sending Accounting-Request of id 47 to 196.25.102.32 port 1646

This is both the same package. Maybe the odd thing is not the duplicate every once in a while but rather the fact that the bulk of them is not duplicated?