what does the attribute PW_DIGEST_NONCE represent in the rlm_digest module?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Apr 19 09:08:44 CEST 2011

maximus wrote:
> I would like to know what does the attribute PW_DIGEST_NONCE (1064)
> represent in rlm_digest module in radius server?

  Read doc/draft-sterman...

> In my setup, the radius client uses SIP. I want to know whether the
> PW_DIGEST_NONCE in the digest attributes can be used as a Session ID of the
> SIP call or the Call-Reference of the authentication packet?

  No.  Ignore the digest nonce.  It means nothing for you.

> This is when I have the
> following issues:
> a) I can not just integrate 'rlm_digest' module source to the existing
> radius server source to work since the changes are quite a lot.

  That's why customizing an open source project is a *terrible* idea.
There's just no need for it.

> b)I have very limited or no details about how the radius client with the SIP
> works.

  Well, ask the manufacturers.  We don't have that information, either.

> This is why I wanted to get more information about the role of rlm_digest
> module and how to handle it in my situation.

  Use the stock version of FreeRADIUS.

  If you're using a customized version and getting paid to add features,
well... good luck with that.  We don't support your software, and we
don't support commercial software for free.  And it's not nice to ask.