how to fix proxy source address

Yusuke SAKAMOTO yanny at hongo.wide.ad.jp
Sun Apr 24 14:11:12 CEST 2011

Hi all.

I'm using FreeRADIUS 2.1.10 on FreeBSD.
May I ask about the freeradius's socket creation behavior?

I set up the following environment, and I use FreeRADIUS as a
radius proxy server. The host has two IP addresses (X.X.X.X
and X.X.X.Y), but FreeRADIUS is running only on X.X.X.X
because I start it by "radiusd -i X.X.X.X".

  +-------------------+                       +-------------+
  | client            | ------------> X.X.X.X |             |
  +-------------------+                |      |             |
                                       |      | FreeRADIUS  |
                              +--------+      | 2.1.10      |
  +-----------------------+   |               |             |
  | another RADIUS server | <-+       X.X.X.Y |             |
  +-----------------------+                   +-------------+

In this environment, I expect the FreeRADIUS to use X.X.X.X as the
source IP address when proxying the request, and FreeRADIUS usually
works so.

I found, however, when clients sent a lots of requests and they
exhausted 256 IDs in proxied radius packet, FreeRADIUS created a new
socket on X.X.X.Y in spite of "-i X.X.X.X" option. The log message was
" ... adding new socket proxy address * port ZZZZZ".
# Of course, the port on X.X.X.X was not exhausted.

Could you tell me if I can fix the source address to X.X.X.X?
# I know the listen section in radiusd.conf is available, but I'm
# afraid that "-i" option overwrites it.

Regards,
--
Yusuke Sakamoto