SSH to use CHAP

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Wed Aug 10 16:50:05 CEST 2011

chesschi <chesschi at gmail.com> wrote:

> I try to authenticate ssh users via PAM using FreeRadius. Is it
> possible to use CHAP for the authentication between radius server and
> radius client?
>
> SSH client -> SSH server <- PAM -> Radius Client <- CHAP-> Radius Server

As far as I am aware, this cannot be done; unless you can find a PAM
RADIUS plugin that supports CHAP.

You should use SSH public keys.  If you want that centrally managed have
a look at putting your users SSH keys into LDAP:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/lpkfuse

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: List at least two alternate dates.