Documentation about Freeradius + Openldap

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Aug 24 15:09:14 CEST 2011

Alejandro Gandara wrote:
> We need to learn how assign IP or HOSTNAME ACCESS LIST to a user taken
> from ldap.
> ""     "" assing Static IP or Dinamic IP to a user or group taken from ldap.

  Read raddb/ldap.attrmap and doc/ldap_howto.  The LDAP attributes map
to RADIUS attributes, including IP address.

> ""     "" integrate this with Openvpn with freeradiusplugin.

  It's just RADIUS.  See the OpenVPN docs for how to do RADIUS with OpenVPN.

> ""     ""  know if a profile is stored in a file or in ldap.

  Why?  Can't you just check the file / DB?

> ""    ""  how to create profile. ( a profile is a user of ldap, or we
> have to link them? )

  FreeRADIUS leverages the normal LDAP schema for users.  Just put users
into LDAP, configure the LDAP portions of FreeRADIUS, and it Will Work.

> I`ve read all documentation found in freeradius.org
> <http://freeradius.org> and some other webs, but I still dont now how
> proceed, wich files modify...

  You must have found SOMETHING.  Saying "I don't know what to do" is
lazy.  The server comes with tons of documentation which describes
exactly what to do in order to configure LDAP, and exactly how LDAP
works.  It comes with samples of LDAP configuration, including comments
saying what the configuration directives are, and how they work.