AP and remote IP

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Tue Aug 30 10:02:35 CEST 2011

On 30 Aug 2011, at 09:43, Gabriele Cardosi wrote:

> Hi All,
> I am a complete noob about radius - and freeradius, so please forgive if the question is silly.
> For a project I would like to develop, I would need to be able to retrieve the ip of a device  wireless-connected to an access point that use freeradius for "authentication".
> I created a testing user and set up the client "secret", and I am able to connect the device (a mobile phone) to the access point authenticating it with the freeradius, but in the log what I see is the client's (i.e. the access point) IP, the clients (AP) mac, and the device mac. Is it possible to have the device ip sent (and stored) somehow to the freeradius? I read something about ip pool, but I have the impression that it can't be used in this setting.

This is a NAS specific feature, FreeRADIUS cannot request that the Access Point send it any more information thats not how RADIUS works. FreeRADIUS will decode and display all attributes in an incoming packet.

Access Points which support this feature will send the IP address of the device in a delayed Accounting Request start packet or an Accounting Request interim update packet. They almost always need to be configured to do this, so I suggest you go and read the manual for your device to determine whether it supports this feature.

-Arran

Arran Cudbard-Bell
a.cudbardb at freeradius.org

RADIUS - Half the complexity of Diameter