Getting NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD: Wrong Password (0xc000006a) when using ntlm_auth

lint lint at pillclan.com
Wed Dec 7 22:26:50 CET 2011

lint wrote

> Alan, thank you, my wireless controller was set to send MSCHAP-v2.
> Changing the controller to PAP allows it to complete a successful radius
> ping.  However, I have moved onto another problem, an 802.1x client will
> not authenticate sending EAP-PEAP/EAP-MSCHAP-v2.

So, if I create a user in the users file, I can connect with that account
over 802.1x.

DEFAULT EAP-Message !* "", Auth-Type := Accept
test Cleartext-Password := "password", MS-CHAP-Use-NTLM-Auth := 0

Doesn't the FreeRADIUS documentation mention that the users file is not
required for NTLM to work with active directory?

This doesn't make sense to me, why would I need to create users when they
already live in active directory?  I know that this means I am doing
something wrong.