FreeRADIUS Accounting data sync

KatsuroKurosaki joaquimsb89 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 12:16:38 CET 2011

Good morning everyone,

I am running in a dead-end at the moment while configuring 2 FreeRADIUS
instances (Version 2.1.8+dfsg-1ubuntu1) installed via apt, under Ubuntu
Server 10.04.3 64 bit.

Both FreeRADIUS instances are configured as follows:
Server C: Only running MySQL, Apache2 and PHP5 with daloRADIUS 0.9.9

Server A and B: Both running FreeRADIUS, Autentication process is done via
LAN to MySQL on Server C. This configuracion gives no trouble, as radtest
outputs the following:

/Sending Access-Request of id 244 to 192.168.6.5 port 1812
User-Name = "pruebas"
User-Password = "surf"
NAS-IP-Address = 192.168.6.3
NAS-Port = 1812
rad_recv: Access-Accept packet from host 192.168.6.5 port 1812, id=244,
length=26
Idle-Timeout = 60/

Then I need Accounting to be sync between servers A and B, because if server
A fails, when Server B receives the request, prints on the screen "Received
logout request, but no Login was received", and same happen on server A when
server B fails.

First I readed about detail file, that should be renamed the line
/detailfile = ${radacctdir}/%{Client-IP-Address}/detail-%Y%m%d/
/detailfile = ${radacctdir}/detail/ in //etc/freeradius/modules/detail/
And added, under //etc/freeradius/sites-available/default/ file, in the
section /accounting {} / the line /detail/

And then I uncommented, in the same file, under the sections /accounting {}/
and /post-auth {}/ the line /sql_log/ to enable the module (I want
Accounting data to be stored in MySQL databases, tell me if I am wrong if
that module does that, so I can disable it), and everytime I execute the
/radtest/ command, new lines are added, in the file defined in
//etc/freeradius/modules/sql_log/, /path = "${radacctdir}/sql-relay"/

With the above configuration, when I start /freeradius -X/, gives no error,
and waits for Autentication packets to be processed.

Finally, I added a symbolic link in //etc/freeradius/sites-enabled/,
pointing to /../sites-available/copy-acct-to-home-server/, and when I start
/freeradius -X/ it ends in a non-stop loop:

/
Detail listener /var/log/freeradius/radacct/detail state replied signalled 0
waiting 0.000477 sec
Detail - unlinking /var/log/freeradius/radacct/detail.work
Detail listener /var/log/freeradius/radacct/detail state unopened signalled
0 waiting 1.085813 sec
Waking up in 1.0 seconds.
Polling for detail file /var/log/freeradius/radacct/detail
Detail listener /var/log/freeradius/radacct/detail state unopened signalled
0 waiting 0.923061 sec
Waking up in 0.9 seconds.
Polling for detail file /var/log/freeradius/radacct/detail
Detail listener /var/log/freeradius/radacct/detail state unopened signalled
0 waiting 0.835397 sec
Waking up in 0.8 seconds.
Polling for detail file /var/log/freeradius/radacct/detail
Detail listener /var/log/freeradius/radacct/detail state unopened signalled
0 waiting 1.128183 sec
Waking up in 1.1 seconds.
Polling for detail file /var/log/freeradius/radacct/detail
Detail listener /var/log/freeradius/radacct/detail state unopened signalled
0 waiting 0.798296 sec
Waking up in 0.7 seconds.
^C
/

Any points where should I start looking at, to fix the above situation?
Maybe I am missing something or I have a misconfiguration, but for the
moment I am unable to get any answer.

Thanks in advance,