Domain Group Authentication

Brian Julin BJulin at clarku.edu
Wed Dec 28 04:31:04 CET 2011

Automate an export of the list of WiFi MAC addresses of your managed computers from the DC.  Then in post-auth, query that list (we use an SQL database) and use the result to alter the tunnel-group-ID sent back in the outer reply.  Users can spoof their MAC addresses, of course, but as long as you are doing this mainly to contain contagion rather than high security, it is satisfactory.

The other option in a managed environment is of course to use TLS for the managed computers and install certs.  You could even embed the MAC address into the cert and check that that matches the Calling-Station-ID.  Still spoofable, of course, but barring a hardware crypto solution, everything is to a pro.