free radius implementation for big ISP

Mohamad A boynux at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 11:43:40 CET 2011

Hello,

I'm working for big ISP  and we have over 150 NASes all over the
country and over 200,000 Internet subscribers.
currently we are using one of those proprietary Radius servers
available in the market.
But the problem is current software even with very up-to-date hardware
can not support our increasing radius requests from all over the
country although we have installed 5 separate server (as our current
software does not support spiting database over multiple servers)
completely independent from each other and it's is very weak point of
our network.

As I'm currently using FreeRadius for Login into servers and NAS via
telnet and also another instance for backup (this radius server
accepts every request from known clients), I decided to study the
possibilities of other available radius servers those would be able to
address our needs and as I think you already know ended-up to
FreeRadius!

So I decided to post this in the mailing list to see if any one
already have such a big implementation and also ask for help in later
states if we  go for FreeRadius.

Our need are (least) :

1. Handling about 100,000 acc requests and 10,000 auth requests hourly!
2. Accounting
3. Control and limit user traffic.
4. Control and limit user concurrent logins.
5. CoA for changing user speed over different times of day.
6. CoA to disconnect user when the account validation is over (eg.
Traffic quota exceeds).
7. Calculate traffic usage differently depending on day-time (ie. our
service in nights does not calculate any traffic or some times as half
for users).
8. Tracking online users and disconnect user if Accounting packet is
not received in prefixed amount of time (currently 10 mins).
9. Spliting database traffic over multiple servers.
10. Designing one interface to manage all users.

Do you really suggest to switch to FreeRadius or stick to the current
problematic solution ?

(sorry for my poor English :)

Regards,