Hash username or mac address to assign user to different vlan

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Feb 18 15:42:29 CET 2011

On 18/02/11 14:34, schilling wrote:
> what's your biggest subnet for the wireless?

Our entire wireless network is one /19, but our wireless system is a
Cisco lightweight that does "clever" things with broadcast, DHCP and ARP
traffic.

However, we have lots of wired subnets which are /21, some with >1000
hosts on them.

> How do you deal with excessive broadcast protocols?

We do nothing. We used to be very worried about this, but in practice
we've found it's a non-existent problem. The world isn't
10Mbit/half-duplex ethernet any more ;o)

(Layer2 security is a different matter)