TTLS-MSCHAPv2 works but PEAP-MSCHAPv2 doesn't (FreeRADIUS 2.1.3)

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Feb 24 10:31:53 CET 2011

Wenche Backman wrote:
> I have a FreeRADIUS-server for configuration testing purposes and on this server TTLS-MSCHAPv2 works fine but PEAP-MSCHAPv2 fails. PEAP-MSCHAPv2 fails both with the WindowsXP client and the NetworkManager included in Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.  The  output from radius -X are shown below. The configuration files are attached. I'd appreciate if someone could take a look at this and check where the problem might be.

  You edited the default configuration files and broke the server.

  You deleted "eap" from the "authorize" section of the "inner-tunnel"
virtual server.

  Add it back, and it will work.  As a double-check: download 2.1.10,
and check the "inner-tunnel" virtual server against the one you have.
Look for "eap", and add it into your configuration.

  The default configuration *works*.  Really.  There's no need to edit
it, and break the server.