Unable to get FreeRADIUS working with MySQL

Stephen Tyers styers at me.com
Tue Jan 11 03:54:32 CET 2011

Hi,

I am running FreeRADIUS Version 1.1.3, for host x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu (from the CentOS repositories) and am having problem getting it working with MySQL.

The specific error message that I am seeing is:

rlm_sql (sql): Released sql socket id: 4
  modcall[authorize]: module "sql" returns ok for request 0
modcall: leaving group authorize (returns ok) for request 0
  rad_check_password:  Found Auth-Type System
auth: type "System"
  ERROR: Unknown value specified for Auth-Type.  Cannot perform requested action.
auth: Failed to validate the user.
Delaying request 0 for 1 seconds
Finished request 0
Going to the next request

After testing with the following command:

/usr/bin/radtest test_user password 127.0.0.1 1812 sharedsecret

It seems like the sql module is set up correctly, because the authorize section returns ok. However, the authentication section does not check the database, but rather uses the DEFAULT user, which has 'Auth-Type' set to 'System'. This returns an error and the request is rejected.

How do I get 'rad_check_password' to check the database instead of the looking at the system users? Is there an 'Auth-Type' of 'SQL' which I could use?

Thank you

Stephen