samba > 3.0.33

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jan 13 12:01:02 CET 2011

On 13/01/11 01:19, Casartello, Thomas wrote:
> I've got it working somewhat. It works for a while and then stops
> working. When I restart smb and winbind it starts working again for a
> while and then stops. Is there some kind of cache that samba uses
> that gets cleared when you restart it that might be causing it?

No idea. We don't see that.

I would suggest a couple of things:

  1. Run FreeRadius in debug mode (-X) and do a test auth. Capture the
ntlm_auth command and save it so you can re-run it later

  2. Re-start FreeRadius normally

  3. Wait until it stops working

  4. Run the ntlm_auth command from the CLI and examine the
/var/log/samba/* files to see if anything obvious complains; possibly
perform a "tcpdump" at the same time to see which DC your winbind is
talking to, and if there's any obvious problem on-the-wire; examine the
logs on that DC to see if there are any obvious problems there

...but it sounds like a Samba problem.