Freeradius on lenny doesn't permit mschap auth

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Jan 14 13:05:36 CET 2011

On 14/01/11 10:59, David Dumortier wrote:

>>    You're running 2.0.4.  I suggest upgrading to 2.1.10.
>
> I'm on Debian/lenny, I will stay on lenny.

Sigh. So you're not willing to follow the advice people give you. Why ask?

> I admit I can have made a mistake but currently I don't see it, so I
> post here.

You have made a mistake:

Ready to process requests.
rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 127.0.0.1 port 47992, id=115,
length=59
	User-Name = "user"
	User-Password = "passwd"
	NAS-IP-Address = 192.168.15.22
	NAS-Port = 0

...this is not an mschap request. Therefore:

++[mschap] returns noop
auth: No authenticate method (Auth-Type) configuration found for the
request: Rejecting the user

...i.e. the mschap module ignores it, because it's not mschap, and no
other module catches it, so it can't be handled/authenticated.

If you want to test mschap... send an mschap request.